Parish Council

Parish councils were formed in 1894 to take over local oversight of social welfare and civic duties in towns and villages. Before this date a variety of groups based around ecclesiastical (church) parishes had responsibility for these matters, in a system of local government that dated back to the feudal system of the 8th century.Parish councils are often confused with the Church of England’s Parochial Church Councils (PCCs), which are concerned with the welfare of a particular religious community. Whilst both parish councils and PCCs have common roots in the old vestry system, parish councils are a civil body and are not linked to the church.

Prior to the second World War, local elections were based on the occupation of rateable properties. The Representation of the People Act 1945 saw this change and electors were based on the National Register. A local Government Act in 1972 brought about elections every four years, in line with District elections. Each Parish Councillor represents the whole parish, not just the area in which they live. If you have any problems that they may be able to assist with, feel free to contact any of them.

The Council meets at the Village Hall each month except August and December. Details of all these meetings are displayed on the parish notice boards, and the village Website, and can be attended by the general public.  Notice Boards are situated at the old Post Office at the top of Horns Drove and in the entrance of the Village Hall in Nursling Street.

The Annual Parish Assembly, at which the Council gives its report for the year to the public, is held each April. The A.G.M. of the Council, at which it elects its officers for the year, is held in May.

The Parish Council has many formal powers in order that it can carry out its functions. To improve the quality of village life, it raises money through the parish rate, and spends it on projects for the benefit of the parish and its parishioners.

Search